Turkish residence permit is a permit for foreigners who want to settle, work, study, make scientific researches or set up business in Turkey.
Foreigners who come to Turkey are able to stay up to 90 days within 180 days without a residence permit. However, foreigners who want to stay longer than this period must obtain a Turkish residence permit according to their purpose of stay.
An official Turkish permit enables you to reside, study, get married, open a bank account, purchase property, make real estate and other investments in Turkey.
So, this article will be a guide for you to learn how to get Turkey residence permits, types of residence permit in Turkey and the benefits of Turkish residence permit in every aspect.
What are the Types of Residence Permit in Turkey?
A residence permit document shows that foreigners are legally residing in Turkey. It also includes how long they will stay in Turkey and for what purpose they are here. The authorities have the right to see this document when necessary.
Firstly, if you want to study in Turkey, you must get a student residence permit. Secondly, if you want to work here, you need to get a work permit according to Turkish Laws. Keep reading and learn more details about the types of residence permits in Turkey.
1. Short-Term Residence Permit for Foreigners
Foreigners are able to get a short-term residence permit for up to 6 months.
So, a short-term residence permit must be obtained by those residing in Turkey who;
- want to make scientific research
- set a business up in business
- get immovable property in Turkey
- participate in on-the-job training programs
- have educational or similar purposes in the framework of student exchange programs such as Erasmus or Farabi
- invest in the amount determined by the Council of Ministers and their family members
- have tourism purposes
- get medical treatment (when there is no contagious disease)
- attend Turkish language courses, internships, education programs
- Citizens of TRNC
- decided to stay in Turkey by judicial and administrative authorities
- have completed their higher education in Turkey and passed 6 months since their graduations
Short Term Residence Permit Turkey Requirements
If you want to have a short-term residence permit, there is a number of conditions for foreigners. These are;
- to submit information and documents related to the purpose of the stay in Turkey,
- not to be among the foreigners who will not be allowed to enter Turkey listed in the Law on Foreigners and International Protection,
- to have housing conditions in accordance with general health and safety standards,
- to have a criminal record issued by the authorities of the country of which you are a citizen,
- providing the address details to stay in Turkey.
Points to Consider
A short-term residence permit may be canceled or not be extended when;
- The short-term residence permit is misemployed.
- The foreigner has been abroad for more than one hundred and twenty days in total in the last year.
- There is a ban on deportation or entrance to Turkey.
2. Long-Term Residence Permit for Foreigners
If a foreigner has resided in our country for 8 years, she/he can apply for Turkey’s long-term residence permit.
Long-Term Residence Permit Requirements
In order to be able to issue a long-term residence permit in Turkey, there is a number of conditions for foreigners. These are;
- Submission of information and documents related to the purpose of the stay in Turkey,
- When foreigners reside in Turkey for at least eight years continuously, under a residence permit issued by the Turkish Laws, they are able to apply for a Turkish long-term permit.
- The foreigner must not receive social assistance in the last three years.
- The foreigner must have sufficient and regular livelihoods and valid health insurance.
- Also, the foreigners must not pose a threat to public order and security.
Points to Consider
A long-term residence permit has certain important points to consider. For instance;
- Refugees, humanitarian residence permit holders, conditional refugees, subsidiary protection status holders, and persons under temporary protection cannot apply for a long-term residence permit.
- A foreigner with a long-term residence permit in Turkey can benefit from the rights granted to Turkish citizens. Such as military duty, right to vote, and stand for election.
- If a foreigner staying in Turkey with a long-term residence permit has been outside Turkey for more than one year continuously, except for health, education, and compulsory public service in his country, the permit will be invalid.
3. Family Residence Permit
Turkey family residence is a type of short-term residence permit provided to foreign family members in order to protect family unity.
Not only foreigners who are married to a Turkish citizen, but also foreigners with a legal residence permit in Turkey, refugees, and foreigners married to foreigners with secondary protection can apply.
It is given to foreigners in family status. Besides, the permit is given to the foreigners through the person whom the law refers to as the supporter/sponsor.
Family Residence Permit Turkey Requirements
According to the Turkish Foreigners Law, the supporter/sponsor must meet certain conditions. When the sponsor does not fulfill the conditions, the application of the foreign national under the family type residence permit in Turkey will be invalid.
- General health insurance covers the sponsor himself and the person who will obtain a residence permit.
- The supporter’s monthly income must be at least 1/3 of the minimum wage per person.
- There must be proof showing that the sponsor has not committed a crime against the family in the last 5 years.
- The sponsor must be residing in Turkey for at least one year.
- Besides, spouses must be at least eighteen years old. Also, if the foreign supporter has more than one spouse, only one of the spouses can get a family residence permit.
Points to Consider
A family residence permit in Turkey may be canceled or not be provided when;
- the above-mentioned conditions are not fulfilled,
- the family residence is misemployed,
- there is a deportation decision or entry ban for foreigners.
4. Student Residence Permit
Student residence permit in Turkey are provided to those;
- who do not have a family residence permit and who receive primary and secondary education.
- who will receive higher education such as bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate, specialization in medicine, and specialization in dentistry.
Student Residence Permit Turkey Requirements
Those who want to acquire a student residence permit in Turkey must;
- submit the requested information and documents regarding studentship.
- not to be one of the foreigners who will not be allowed to enter our country.
- submit the address information to stay in Turkey.
Points to Consider
Here are some significant things to pay attention to about student residence permit Turkey;
- When you already have a family residence permit, you will not need a student residence permit.
- Students who come to the country for educational purposes and whose visa or exemption period is not sufficient must have a student residence permit in Turkey.
- The permit is canceled when there is some evidence that the education process is failed.
- The Turkish Government gives student residence permit only during the education process.
5. Humanitarian Residence Permit
The type of residence permit given to people who need to stay in the Republic of Turkey for humanitarian reasons is a humanitarian residence permit.
Humanitarian residence permit Turkey is issued in the following cases;
- For the benefit of the child.
- If the foreigner cannot be made to leave Turkey, or if it is not reasonable or possible to leave Turkey, although a decision to deport them or to ban them from entering Turkey has been taken.
- If it is not possible to deport the foreigner.
- In the continuous process of the applicant’s return to the first country of asylum or a safe third country.
- When foreigners who need to enter and stay in Turkey for urgent reasons or for the protection of the country’s interests, public order, and public security, are not able to obtain one of the other residence permits due to their situation that prevents the issuance of a residence permit.
- In emergency situations.
Humanitarian Residence Permit Turkey Requirements
Turkey’s humanitarian residence permit conditions are as follows:
- Presence of at least one of the situations in Article 46 of the Law on Foreigners and International Protection.
- The payment of the application fee.
- Preparing the necessary documents.
- At last, approval of the permit.
6. Residence Permit for Victims of Human Trafficking
First of all, human trafficking is the detention of a person by force, kidnapping, deception by using or threatening to use force.
The Turkish Government grants the right of residence for victims of human trafficking.
Requirements for Residence Permit for Victims of Human Trafficking
The conditions of a residence permit for victims of human trafficking are different from the other permits.
Who Needs a Turkey Residence Permit?
Getting a residence permit in Turkey is obligatory for foreign citizens who want to stay in Turkey for more than 3 months in accordance with their purpose of stay.
Why Do You Need a Turkish Residence Permit?
If a foreigner does not have a residence permit according to their purpose of stay, it means that they are illegally staying in Turkey.
How to Apply for Residency in Turkey?
You can apply for a residence permit through www.goc.gov.tr which is the official website of the General Directorate of Migration Management. When making your application, make sure that you apply from the official site. You also need to prepare some necessary documents. Furthermore, these documents may depend on the types of residence permits in Turkey.
- Passport (Travel Document)
- Biometric Photography in ICAO Standards
- Application on behalf of a Foreign Person
- Student Certificate
- Proof of Income
- Health Insurance
- Address of Accommodation
- Criminal Records
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
What is the Cost of Turkish Residency?
Residence permit documents are valuable papers according to Turkish Laws. Besides, fees and amounts may depend on the countries. You can also visit https://en.goc.gov.tr/documents-for-residence-permit-fee-amount to learn more about Turkish residence permit fees.
What are the Required Documents for Turkish Residency?
Common documents below must be provided for all residence permit applications in Turkey.
- Recent photos of the applicant
- Translation approved by a sworn translator or official authorities
- Birth certificate for the foreign child
- A proof document if your expenses are covered by public institutions
- If the person is under eighteen years old; a letter of consent given by his/her mother/father or legal representative
What is the Validity of Turkish Residence Permits?
The validity of a Residence Permit in Turkey depends on the sort of permit. So, let’s explain in this way;
- Turkish short-term residence permits, for or a maximum of two years at a time. (TCKN Citizens and foreign investors are apart from it.)
- Turkish long-term residence permits have indefinite validity.
- Turkish student residence permit varies on the period of study.
- Family type Turkish residence permits, for not more than three years at a time.
- Humanitarian residence permit Turkey, for a period not exceeding one year.
- The residence permit for the victims of human trafficking, for thirty days.
Can You Work with a Residence Permit in Turkey?
Yes, foreign nationals who want to obtain a work permit to get legal income in Turkey must fill out a work permit application form. Following the approval of the work permit application, they can work legally. Members of the Press and Media are exempt from work permits.
Is It Possible to Get Residency by Investment in Turkey?
Yes, you can get residency by real estate investment in Turkey, even for the whole family. Moreover, if you want to set up a business and make other kinds of investments in Turkey, you can get residency.
Is It Possible to Get Citizenship by Investment in Turkey?
Yes, you can get Turkish Citizenship by real estate investment. Buy property with a minimum value of 250,000 worth of the real estate. Now, you can make further reading about the process of Turkish Citizenship by Investment. Also, you are able to take consultancy from Realty Group representatives.
What is the Cost of Living in Turkey?
Lastly, it is one of the most significant questions if you think of residing in Turkey. For instance, household bills, taxes, food and beverage prices, transportation costs… Besides, it will be to your advantage to know the prices of education and health services, electricity, gas, water and internet connection costs. If you want to know more about it, take a look at our article about the cost of living in Turkey now.