Located in the Republic of Turkey, Antalya is a beautiful city that attracts many visitors each year. The city is well-known for its beautiful natural surroundings as well as its luxurious atmosphere. Apart from that, the city offers numerous gorgeous destinations, which contribute to its status as one of the most visited places in the world.
If you’re traveling to Antalya on a tight budget, you will still have a lot of options when it comes to accommodation. If you are looking for high-quality services, there are numerous sites you may hire for a reasonable charge.
Antalya has many luxurious hotels and it can be easily secure a reasonable rate during the off-season.
Where is Antalya?
Antalya is the largest city in Turkey’s Antalya Province near the Mediterranean coastline, also known as the Turkish Riviera. It is located in the southwest corner of Anatolia, where it borders the Taurus Mountains.
How Many Districts Does Antalya Have?
Antalya has 19 districts and they can be found below.
What is Antalya’s Population?
Antalya’s population is estimated at 2.426 million with 50.4% of males and 49.6% of females.
What is Antalya Surface Area?
Antalya has a total surface area of 1,417 km2 (547 sq mi).
What are the seasonal characteristics of Antalya?
Antalya has a Mediterranean climate with hot summers and mild winters. The summers are hot and dry, while the winters can be extremely wet.
The typical sea temperature is 16°C (61°F) in winter, 27°C (81°F) in summer. Here are some of the weather statistics from Antalya.
- April and November are the most likely to have beautiful weather, with typical temperatures ranging between 20° (68°F) and 25°C (77°F) on a daily basis.
- June, July, August, and September are the hottest months of the year.
- Precipitation is most likely to occur in February, March, and November.
- June, July, August, and September are the driest months. July is the hottest month of the year. with an average high temperature of 34°C (94°F).
- The coldest month is January, with an average maximum temperature of 15°C (59°F).
- December is the wettest month of the year.
- July is the sunniest month of the year.
What are the Most Famous Meals of Antalya?
Here are some of the most famous meals in Antalya.
- Piyaz is one of Antalya’s most well-known meals, is made by unique ingredients.
- Ezogelin corba is a red lentil soup with tomato salsa (sweet or hot tomato paste), grated fresh tomatoes, onions, dried mint, and pul biber (chili flakes) on top.
- Saksuka is an eggplant dish.
- Kisir is a salad with bulgur, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, and mint.
- The famed mercimek kofte, a meatless treat, is made of bulgur and lentil.
- Inegol kofte is Turkey’s famous meatball dish.
- Iskender kebab is respectfully spread over pieces of plump pide bread, smothered in freshly produced tomato sauce, baptized with a sprinkle of sizzling melted butter, and served with a side of sour yogurt, grilled tomato, and green peppers.
- Cag kebab is served with flat lava bread, tomato, white onion, and thin green peppers.
- Perde pilav
- Testi kebab
Which Hotels Are In Antalya?
The top hotels in Antalya are listed below.
- Crowne Plaza
- Sealife Family Resort Hotel
- Hotel SU & Aqualand
- Porto Bello Hotel Resort & Spa
- Akra Hotel
- Ramada Plaza
Antalya, founded by Attalos II, was named after the Attalos dormitories. It was just a matter of time before the city was taken over by pirates when the monarchy of Pergamon came to an end (133 BC).
Isauricus was a Roman captain who conquered this land in 77 BC. As early as 67 BC, Pompeius used it as a naval outpost. For Attaleia, the opportunity to flourish came with Hadrianus’ arrival in 130 AD. After the Turks had taken over the city, the Episcopal center named Attaleia made incredible advances during Byzantium’s dominion.
However, because the contemporary city was built over the remnants of an ancient community, Antalya’s ancient ruins are rarely seen. Beginning with, there existed a breakwater and a fortification that surrounded the port and ruins of the breakwater. The Hadrianus Gate is one of the most spectacular vestiges of the fortification outside the park.
In antiquity, the city of Antalya and the surrounding territory were known as Pamphylia, which meant fertile land, while the western section was known as Lykia. As people migrated from the west side of the Aegean sea, Side and Aspendos were founded in the 8th century.
Atheros II of Pergamon besieged Side in the second-century bc during the reign of King Attalos II. Side, located around 75 km east of Antalya, was formed when he could not take over Side. He gave it the name Attaleia in his honor. After a while, people began referring to it as Atalya or Adalya. Antalya is a descendant of these names.
A 40,000-year-old settlement was discovered in the Antalya area during archeological excavations. From 2000 BC to the present, some of the city-states were Hittite, Pamphylia, Lykia, and Kilikya, while Alexander the Great and his successors Antigonos, Ptolemais, and Selevkos were under the control of Pergamon.
The Roman Empire took over the rule later on. Pamphylia was the name of the city in antiquity, and the cities that were constructed here flourished in the 2nd and 3rd centuries. During the 5th century, the city’s past glories were lost.
Ancient Civilizations Lived in Antalya
Antalya had many civilizations which are listed below.
1. Greek Civilization: King Attalus II of Pergamon is credited with founding the city in the Hellenistic period, around 150 BC. In his honor, it was given the name Attaleia or Attalia (ancient Greek).
2. Roman Civilization: In 133 BC, Attalus III, a nephew of Attalus II, donated his kingdom to Rome, making it a province of the Roman Republic.
3. Cibyrrhaeot Civilization: Antalya was the Byzantine capital of the Cibyrrhaeots, who occupied Anatolia’s southern shores.
4. Cypriot Civilization: A brief period of Cypriot control between 1321 and 1423, Attalea was the capital of the Turkish beylik of Teke (1321–1423) until its conquest by the Ottomans (1361 and 1373).
What are the Features of Antalya?
The archaeological and ecological beauties of the Antalya region have earned its name as the Turkish Riviera. Antalya is a destination where the sea, sun, history, and nature coexist in perfect harmony. It also has the most beautiful Mediterranean shoreline. In addition to its outstanding natural beauty, the city retains its historical significance as a center on the country’s south coast.
The top features of Antalya are listed below.
- Tourist attractions
- Ancient cities
- Great hiking
- Ancient ruins by the beach
- Amazing hotels
- Beautiful beaches
- Natural wonders
Historical Places of Antalya
Here are the important historical places in Antalya.
- Old Town (Kaleici)
- Old Harbor
- Antalya Museum
- Yivli Minare
- Hadrian’s Gate
- Roman Fortress (Hidirlik Kalesi)
- Olympos and the Chimaera
What Are The Museums In Antalya?
- Antalya Muzesi: The museum has 13 show halls with exhibits ranging from the Paleolithic Age to Ottoman Ages. In addition, a particular children’s section has activities designed to draw children’s interest in antiques and museums. The suggested duration is 2 to 3 hours and admission is free.
- Sandland: Global Design Art Works organizes Sandland, an open-air sand sculpture exhibition. This fantastic universe, also known as the Antalya Sand Sculpture Museum, is regarded as one of the world’s most significant sand events due to its size and space, approximately 10.000 square meters. Admission tickets start at U$ 6.01.
- Ters Villa (Upside Down House): Turkey’s largest upside-down house. Admission is US$7.34 per person.
- Suna and Inan Kirac Kaleici Museum: The museum focuses on the city’s history and art, founded by Suna and Inan Kirac.
How Many Tourists Come to Antalya annually?
7 million tourists on average visit Antalya annually.
How to Get to the City Center from Antalya Airport?
To get to Antalya city center from Antalya Airport (AYT), you can use a taxi, airport shuttle, or private shuttle. The ride takes about 25 minutes. Tram and public buses also serve between the airport and the city center.
How to Provide Transportation in Antalya?
Antalya has a variety of transportation options that are listed below. Public transportation such as buses and trams run on time. Taxi and minibus rides are reasonably priced. To travel to all the attractions and prominent areas, four different public transit alternatives can be combined.
Getting around in Antalya is easy with the city’s local bus system. Many of the city’s key locations and tourist attractions are on the bus routes that run throughout the city.
Visitors are advised to take the minibus, not only for the convenience of traveling around but also to get a taste of local travel. The fare is usually paid as soon as you sit down and travels in the town are cheap.
Tram has a limited number of stops but is essential for tourists because it stops at main tourist attractions in the city. It is a cheap and convenient option and it’s the easiest way to get from one end of town to another.
Taxis are yellow and have license plates on the side of the cars. Taking a cab in Antalya is practical, pleasant, fast, and quick. But due to Antalya’s large size, taxi charges can be pretty expensive due to the distances.
Taxi Prices in Antalya
Several elements, such as the travel time and distance influence the cost of a taxi in Antalya. Taxis have a base fee of US$0.48, costing US$0.04 per minute and US$0.48 per kilometer.
Antalya Bus Ticket Prices
The Antalyakart (A-Kart) is a transportation card that costs US$0.20. The bus fare in Antalya costs around US$0.36.
What are the House Rental Prices in Antalya?
An apartment with one-bedroom costs US$160 per month in the city center and US$112 outside of the center. A three-bedroom apartment costs US$273 per month in the center and US$170 outside the center.
How to Buy a House in Antalya?
Plenty of apartments, villas, and lands can be found in Antalya, as many are located by the sea or the mountains.
First, good research about the houses in Antalya Turkey is required before buying. Once the property to buy is decided with the help of the right real estate agency, the last step is receiving the title deed.
What are the Reliable Real Estate Sites to Buy a House in Antalya?
Choosing a real estate agent should be a pleasant experience, as many reliable real estates agencies can be found in Antalya. These include PropertyTurkey, TurkeyExpert, Re/Max, AntalyaHomes, and Realty Group.
Realty Group is one of the most professional real estate agencies in Turkey that has been in the market for over a decade. Realty Group has the experience, knowledge, and passion for guiding customers through buying a property, selling a property, investing a property, managing a property, financing a property in Antalya, or obtaining Turkish citizenship.
What are the Points to Consider While Buying a House in Antalya?
Here are some of the key points to consider when buying a house in Antalya.
- Specify your needs
- The best location for you and your family
- Rental returns and capital growth
- Choosing the right agent
- Property purchasing expenses
- Giving yourself options
- You can negotiate the price
- Go on inspection tours
- Reserve the property